Software Development Manager – Zapp
Technical manager for two full-stack teams in the customer-facing domain of an early-stage e-commerce startup.
- Successfully scaled two teams from 4 to 8 engineers by hiring and onboarding.
- Mentored and coached engineers through regular 1-on-1 meetings and by setting personal development objectives. Conducted routine performance reviews with feedback on achievements and improvement areas.
- Developed role descriptions and technical interview process for SDE, SDM, and QA positions.
- Improved team effectiveness by establishing and running agile ceremonies, including dailies, planning meetings, retrospectives, and sprint reviews.
- Set up and supervised mature software lifecycle processes, including, technical writing and architecture documentation with C4-modelling, testing (unit, integration, end-to-end, performance) build- and release-automation, observability, on-call, and incident management.
- Set up end-to-end observability of important service-level indicators to find critical performance bottlenecks in the frontend and backend using Sentry and Cloud Trace.
- Created dedicated backend for frontend and with a GraphQL API for product search and presentation backed by Elasticsearch. Used InversifyJS to implement an Inversion of Control pattern. Utilized Jest for unit- and integration-testing, K6 for load- and stress-testing. Other technologies used: Google Cloud platform, serverless cloud functions, Pub/Sub, TypeScript.
- Developed Zapp mobile app for Android and iOS with React Native, TypeScript, GraphQL, and Firebase.
- Replication of cloud infrastructure across multiple separated markets and geographic regions with the help of Terraform.
Tech Lead in Support Applications – N26
Technical lead of 2 teams working on critical back-office solutions for the bank: one full-stack (TypeScript) and one backend (Kotlin) team.
Achievements & projects
- Responsible for the technical design & architecture of internal web applications and automation systems.
- Established consensus on system design between our team and others by conducting an event storming exercise.
- Instructed other team members as a mentor and coach. Helped them with their personal development by providing feedback in regular 1-on-1 meetings.
- As a hiring manager of the team, responsible for the interview process.
Senior Full-Stack Developer in Internal Tools – N26
Senior full-stack developer in a team creating the applications for the internal users of the bank.
Achievements & projects
- Designed and developed a micro frontend framework and platform for internal web applications with React, TypeScript, GraphQL, and Node.js.
- Developed an IAM system for web applications with React, TypeScript, and Node.js.
- Developed and maintained multiple Node.js microservices.
Software Engineer in API Management – Zalando SE
- Built and maintained microservices using Java, Go, and Node.js, deployed on Kubernetes.
- Designed and developed user interfaces of web application frontends.
- Published technical narratives and guidelines for all technology teams, including the RESTful API and Event guidelines.
- API Portal, a website to discover API specifications based on Node.js and React.
- API Discovery, a fleet of microservices to collect API specifications written in Java and Go.
- Zally, a linter for OpenAPI (Swagger) REST API schemas, written in Kotlin.
Software Engineer in Brand Solutions – Zalando SE
- Developed and maintained full-stack web applications deployed on Amazon Web Services.
- Agile and test-driven software development in an autonomous team.
- Maintained the complete product lifecycle including continuous monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Brand CMS, a content management system for business customers with a RESTful microservice architecture using Java, Angular, and PostgreSQL.
- Tessellate, a server-side webpack bundler and React renderer for Mosaic built with Node.js.
- Zappr, an open-source GitHub integration written in React and Node.js.
- Aggregated and analyzed business data using the SciPy stack, including Pandas.
- Built a prototype for analyzing Kafka-based event data in a Hadoop data lake using Hive queries.
Master of Science – Graz University of Technology, Austria
Software Engineering and Management Master’s thesis at the Institute of Software Technology on behavior-driven development and specification by example of visual programming languages.
Bachelor of Science – Graz University of Technology, Austria
Software Development and Business Management Bachelor’s thesis at the Institute of Software Technology on the test-driven development of ‘Catrobat‘, a visual programming language for Android.
Matura – Handelsakademie Lambach, Commercial Academy, Austria
Specialized in Commerce and Information Technology
deeplearning.ai: Convolutional Neural Networks
deeplearning.ai: Structuring Machine Learning Projects
deeplearning.ai: Improving Deep Neural Networks
deeplearning.ai: Neural Networks and Deep Learning
École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne: Functional Programming in Scala Specialization
École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne: Functional Programming Principles in Scala
École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne: Functional Program Design in Scala
École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne: Parallel programming
Delft University FP101x: Introduction to Functional Programming
- Java & Kotlin (5 years experience)
- Python (4 years experience)
- Go (1 year experience)
- Scala (1 year experience)
- C/C++ (1 year experience)
Frameworks & tools
- Node.js (7 years experience)
- React (6 years experience)
- GraphQL (4 years experience)
- Docker (5 years experience)
- AWS (6 years experience)
- Google Cloud (1 year experience)
- PostgreSQL (6 years experience)
- Elasticsearch (2 years experience)
- German (native language)
- English (fluent in written and spoken language)
- French (basic skills)